It’s that time when those in the know start predicting what we’ll be up to for the coming year, and that includes spas. Every year, the Spa Association makes a wild guess at what’s hot and what’s not for the year ahead, and in 2012 they are predicting good things for spas and wellness. A quick look at the list of hot spa themes includes:
1. Globalisation – inspiration for this year’s new spa day treatments comes from all over the world everything from indulgently exotic Indonesian rituals to fast fix American-style beauty treatments will be on offer as spas compete to offer the widest treatment menu.
2. Wellness for older spa goers…as lots of more mature visitors are finding out, spas aren’t just for the young; and more and more they are catering for the needs of older guests. It’s not just about anti-ageing beauty – spas in the UK are looking at age-inclusive fitness and therapies that will benefit more mature people too.
3. History – UK spas are looking back at treatments of the past to inspire them in the future – look out for tried and tested therapies based on ancient Ayurveda or ‘taking to the spa waters’ in central Europe.
4. Evidence and Results – we’re all having to watch every penny so it’s no surprise that we want our spa treatments proven and effective. Medically-proven spa therapies backed up with science and technology are likely to get more and more popular as we all start looking for treatments that REALLY work.
5. Mini-spa treatments – fitting in a spa treatment on a shopping trip or at the airport is likely to be taking off as we all try to be a bit more economical with our time. Book yourself in for a spa day at a local health club or a facial before you fly from Heathrow and you can copy the A-listers in the quick-spa stakes.
6. Sociable spas – a spa doesn’t have to be a solitary thing. These days a chief bridesmaid is just as likely to book a spa break for the bridal party as a boozy weekend in Amsterdam. Couples spa trips are de rigeur and group pamper days are a fab way to catch up with the gossip while getting your nails done.
Which spa trends are your favourites?
Comments are now closed